Type 2 Treatment & Management:
If the patient is overweight we need to start with some cardio like Surya Namaskara and then practise certain asanas with a bandha (energy lock), as our goal here is to loose weight and then concentrate the oxygen and energy on our body's cells to use the insulin sufficiently and absorb glucose.
a) Surya Namaskara with breathing patterns or mantras
1. Tadasana - neutral breathing - mantra "Om mitraya namaha"
2. Urdhva Hastasana - inhale - mantra" Om ravayae namaha"
3. Uttanasana - exhale - mantra "m sryaya namaha"
4. Anjaneyyasana - inhale - mantra "Om bhanavae namaha"
5. Adho Mukha Svanasana - exhale- "Om khagianya namaha"
6. Ashtanga Pranam - Normal Breathing - mantra "Om pushne namaha"
7. Urdva Mukha Svasana - inhale- mantra "Om hiranya gharbaya namaha"
8. Ardho Mukha Svasana - exhale - mantra "Om marichayae namaha"
9. Anjaneyasana- inhale -mantra "Om adyiya namaha"
10. Uttasana -exhale- mantra "Om savit namaha"
11. Urdva Hastasana - inhale - mantra "Om arkaya namaha"
12. Tadasana - exhale - mantra "Om bhaskaraya namaha"
b) Maha Mudra with bandha (Inhale- chin lock- bend forwards with an exhale-abdoment and anus lock - inhale and come up- exhale)
c) Bow Pose with bandha (Lay on the stomach and hold ankles your ankles- inhale and pull up- exhale- chin lock- inhale and come back to neutral position- exhale) The picture below shows the inhale process, please proceed with an exhale and chin lock, by dropping the chin downwards to touch the clavicle.
d) Cobra Pose / Camel Pose / Bridge Pose with a chin lock & Sarvangasana with soles of feet touching can all be done with a chin-abdomenal-anal lock.
e) Brahmari & Ujjayi breathing techniques followed by Cooling Pranayamas are all very helpful in patients with Diabetes Type 2.